Friday, November 11, 2022

big

Back when the band first started, I'd like to think I was very driven to try and propel satan forward as much as humanely possible - we'd constantly be playing live, always hustling and forever trying to get 'big' - get a label, get an agent, get a manager. I have to admit, those habits die very hard, but one thing that age brings is a sort of sobering brutality that 'big' isn't really the be all and end all of being in a band, or making music in general. If it's taken the arse to completely fall out of the music industry to realise it, then at least some good has come of it.

It's enough to just keep on making something. Sure, it might not sell as well as something else, or you can't get that big gig you want, but it doesn't matter. Those things have never really mattered. It's enough to just sit at a laptop and think 'what am I going to make this time?'

And I've had labels, agents, etc. and none of it ever really propelled me into being 'famous' - good labels find you, good people find you, you just have to trust that. 

If everything's burning around us in 'the biz', then at least take yourself out for dinner and have some fun. Book a show yourself, put a record out yourself, do something silly, I don't know. You might as well, because doing things 'the right way' has never looked or felt so alien and ludicrous. You've got a lot of technology at your fingertips - might as well use it, fuck it.

I suppose this all links into the current social media death spiral we're seeing, and as much as things like twitter and OG facebook have helped me, and the band, it's also oddly liberating to see these places disappear and wonder what will happen next. Are you up for another social site? or do you want to just run into the woods and never log onto a website ever again? Either way is perfectly valid, there's no wrong answer. I quite like the idea of being a little less online, but I'm also not naieve enough to think I won't be able to work without it, so it'll be interesting to see how people reset themselves. 

But yeah, anyway - just keep making stuff, because there's enough shit in the world, you might as well fight the good fight.

No comments:

Post a Comment