Friday, April 2, 2021

Providence

howdy!

Today sees the unveiling of album number eight: Providence.

It was pieced together from various recordings I’d made over the past year or so, picking up pretty much exactly where Time Lapse left off. I didn’t want it to be just Time Lapse 2 though, so had it in my head that it would be an album of stuff that sort of varies in style, with shorter tracks, but still retain a satan atmosphere all the way though. I think I’ve managed it - well, I hope I have, but I guess you’ll be the judge of that...



It’s coming out on May 7th via the excellent Newcastle based label, Box Records. Matt, who runs the label, is an old pal of mine, and I was very fortunate that he offered to release this record, as it very nearly didn’t see the light of day. It ended up homeless after various industry shenanigans, but Matt was a proper legend when he stepped in to save it. 

I had a bit more fun with song titles too, as the John McGinn one was based on a Villa tweet I made two years ago after we played Norwich, and Stórar Franskur is Icelandic for 'big chips' - I just thought it’d be funny to make the blandest phrase I could think of into something that looked very 'Spotify ambient' as they love a good pretentious Icelandic title. Plus, most Icelanders I know aren’t the Wes Anderson caricature they’re sometimes made out to be, so a big plate of chips was the funniest thing I could imagine in a cutesy faux Scandinavian accent.

The front cover is the big brutalist clock tower in Shipley, in case you were wondering. It’s a photo by the excellent photographer John Cade.

Anyway! The pre-order is open now, and you’ll get the McGinn song immediately, so go on - get one ordered!

No comments:

Post a Comment